Thursday, July 11, 2013

The First Girl

After writing a post reviewing Hemlock Grove, I got to thinking about the (now) eponymous Final Girl.  I haven't read the definitive text on the subject, but from what I know about it's premise, it pretty much sums up the phenomenon I was kvetching--or one of them, anyway, I whine a lot, even for a writer--about: sexualized women are usually the first to die in horror films.

There has been a rebellion, of late, against this trope.  I think I might want to see if I could find any work on that--the first girl killed, the most sexualized or taboo female character, and her recent evolution into occasional anti-hero status.  I don't want to write too much about it because otherwise this post would have to be rife with spoiler alerts, but if you have some spoilers for me, please holla.

And here's a picture of Jay Baruchel because seriously, I can't help it, I am pretty sure I would cry like a Beatles-freak if I ever met him in real life, I think this skinny fuck is that goddamn sexy.  I just banned myself from watching any more interviews on youtube because they are having the previously unheard of effect (Tom Hardy literally being the only living exception prior, which, what can I say) of making my celebricrush worse.  Bizarre.

Especially with Craig Ferguson. That shit should be illegal.